Weekly Economic Bulletin
||Weekly EB (No. 184, May 18, 2012)
WEEKLY ECONOMIC BULLETIN
May 18, 2012
MAJOR NEWS AND EVENTS
- [MOSF] Ministerial Meeting on Prices (May 18, 2012)
This week's ministerial meeting on prices was held on May 18 at a large discount agricultural and livestock product market located in southern Seoul. Strategy and Finance Minister Bahk Jaewan personally looked into current supply and demand and fielded questions.
- [MOSF] Emergency Meeting on Financial Situation (May 17, 2012)
As Korea's financial market showed volatility following the news that Greece failed to form a government, the Ministry of Strategy and Finance, the Financial Services Commission, the Bank of Korea and the Financial Supervisory Service had a meeting to check the financial state of affairs.
- [MOSF] April 2012 Employment (May 16, 2012)
The Employment Statistics Division released their 'Economically Active Population Survey' for April 2012.
- [MOSF] 18th Crisis Management Meeting (May 16, 2012)
At the 18th Crisis Management Meeting, Minister of Strategy and Finance Bahk Jaewan mainly discussed the recent trends and policy implications of the European financial crisis, supporting small and medium-sized businesses that utilized government funding, and a stimulation plan to encourage he growth of youth startups.
- [BOK] Use of Internet Banking Services during Q1 (May 17)
Please refer to the link for more information.
- [BOK] Second Meeting of the Financial Stability Board Regional Consultative Group for Asia (May 15)
Today, Bank Negara Malaysia hosted the second meeting of the Financial Stability Board (FSB) Regional Consultative Group for Asia in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The group was established pursuant to the FSB's announcement in November 2010 that it intends to expand and formalise outreach beyond its membership. To this end, six regional consultative groups were established to bring together financial authorities from FSB member and non-member economies to exchange views on vulnerabilities affecting financial systems and on initiatives to promote financial stability.
- [BOK] Trade Index & Terms of Trade during Q1 2012 (May 14)
The net barter terms of trade index fell 6.4% year-on-year in the first quarter of 2012, as the export unit value index rose by only 0.5% whereas the import unit value index surged 7.3% led by the run-up in global commodity prices.
ANNOUNCEMENT ON UPCOMING RELEASES
- - Results of the Annual EBRD Meeting (May 21)
- - OECD Economic Outlook (May 22)
- - Current Foreign Debt (May 23)
- - 19th Crisis Management Meeting (May 23)
- - Plans to solve Difficulties Faced by Business (May 23)
- - Review of Global Financial Cooperation (May 24)
- - FDI through Korea-EU FTA (May 25)
- - Ministerial Meeting on Prices (May 25)
- - Proceedings of Financial Council Meeting (May 21)
- - Dishonored Bill Ratio during March 2012 (May 21)
- - International Investment Position (IIP) at the end of March 2012 (Preliminary) (May 23)
- - Proceedings of Economic Review Meeting (May 23)
- - Meeting with Investment Banks (May 25)
- - Household Credits during Q1 2012 (May 25)
- - Consumer Survey Index, April 2012 (May 25)
Each institution is reponsible for the information it provides in the bulletin.
For further inquiries
- Ministry of Strategy and Finance
Kim, Young Min
+822 2150 2450
- Financial Services Commission
Kim, Mi Kyung
+822 2156 9582
- Bank of Korea
Kim, JH Samuel
+822 759 4132